All the Falling Stones

I am always amazed by the sheer volume of talented artists and crafts people I get to meet as part of stocking the Workhouse Gift Shop. Just when I think I've seen everything, a new product or approach comes along and I have to resist buying one of everything!

All the Falling Stones is a series of atmospheric prints by photographer Claire Loader. The prints are fixed onto wooden blocks so that the prints can be free-standing as well as wall mounted.

Claire is originally from the 'other' Westport, a coastal town on the South Island of New Zealand. After meeting her husband in China, she took the plunge and moved to Ireland. That was 9 years ago and the New Zealand photographer has been enchanted with Ireland ever since. Like many visitors to Ireland, Claire has never gotten over the amount of castles and abbeys, pure history, often just sitting out in a field somewhere. Immune to steady drizzles, muddy boots and even the odd unfriendly bull, Claire has set about exploring as many of these sites as possible. Far from facing an impossible task, she is delighted that there are still so many that she hasn't seen yet.

In her own words-

When I first moved to Ireland I was completely taken in by the countryside, a land dotted with the crumbling vestiges of history - castles, towers, abbeys – stones steeped almost in magic. I love anything that speaks of ages, of origins, that lets me feel for a moment the small space that I hold in time. Ireland to me is simply bewitching and I hope to capture that with my photography. 

Claire's love affair with Irish ruins and their place in the countryside flows out of her images and we are delighted to be the first venue to stock her work. For more info on Claire's work, check out her website www.allthefallingstones.com 

Elizabeth Carter 


Comments

  1. Brilliant presentation idea for those incredible shots of Irish ruins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! They look great in the workhouse setting as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Workhouse in Fiction

The Finnish Famine Exhibition

Workhouse Farms in Ireland