Personalities of the Workhouse-Bridget Corbett


                                                    
The exact window from whence Bridget ended her life
The story of Bridget Corbett is one of the saddest to come out of Portumna workhouse. Her experiences call into question just how 'free' a person really was to leave the workhouse if they had any sort of physical impediment. In our current era of trying to increase accessibility, this story is especially sobering. We are lucky to have the details of the case from a newspaper report dated November 1872 which tells us about Bridget's plight. 


The elderly widow lay confined to a bed for 12 months, in extreme discomfort from the effects of rheumatism. On November 10th of that year Bridget made the first attempt on her own life but was stopped. Not to be deterred, 
 Mrs Corbett must have had her mind made up about ending her life. While the wards-woman was not looking, Bridget made her way out of a small window, several floors above the children's yard, and threw herself onto the hard ground below. The fall did not result in an immediate fatality, but Bridget did die some time later from her injuries.

The most poignant part of this story is that Bridget Corbett was free to leave the workhouse but unfortunately had nowhere to go or nobody to care for her. In her mind her only escape from pain was through the top floor window of the women’s quarters.

In a bid to acknowledge the many people in Irish Workhouses who may have been driven to the ultimate desperation and attempted to take their own lives, The Irish Workhouse Centre held a small commemoration in 2017 at which the following specially written poem was read.


        Walls of Glass (for Bridget Corbett)
 by David Broderick

Sister please, my pain do ease for I can take no more
I’m sorry dear we do what we can, now we can do no more
But I cannot lay her any longer in fierce suffering and pain
Please fetch the warden to whom I’ll ask to free me from these chains.

Oh Warden please, oh please save now me from this awful fate
Ah Pauper see you're free to leave, don’t you see the open gate
Its open wide for you to leave just take your things and go
Oh but Warden sure how can I leave, for all are gone that I’d know

An empty ruin with no hearth or roof is all that’s there now
No spuds are grown, no pig to feed, nor a milking cow
No neighbours left, they all are dead and their young all set sail
Nor a rambler left to call to hear, my sad and lonely tale

So I must take that sorry step, the only step to set me free
For no one will help this sorry soul I’m like a lock without a key
My lord above forgive me please and give me wings to fly
For in this prison, with walls of glass, many years ago I died

So Now I am free, from pain and hunger,  from cruelty and from shame
Please heaven, take me now and give me rest, and please all remember my name.

Author: David Broderick
Article courtesy of Roscommon & Leitrim Gazette 23 November 1872


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Workhouse in Fiction

The Finnish Famine Exhibition

Wretched Old Shoes